Saturday, April 12, 2008

elephantangelchild

I've always loved e. e. cummings. I'm not a huge fan of poetry, and for my post-modern, I usually go to film, but there was way he could bring disparate elements together and make them make sense. Like Calder junk fish, where a bunch of nonsense objects are put together in a way that's whimsical, but a little sad. The whole is made of these tiny junk objects that have come together for a short time to make sense.

Plus, cummings has the habit of driving people crazy, and when isn't that fun to watch?

I'm a person of disparate elements. I draw. I program. I write. I design. I'm usually good enough to get recognition by my peers, but not an expert at any of it. Maybe I could be, but I've always worried in back of my mind that I would lose a skill if I focused too much on another. It's why I chose to go into psychology. For all it's reputation of leather couch toting nodding hypothesisers, it actually is a field that requires you to be diverse in your abilities. Math for reading and conducting studies. Science for understanding chemical interacts and neuroscience. Writing for creating readable journal articles. I even fit in art on the margins of my notes.

These days, I'm what they call a business analyst. I've come to the conclusion that it's corporate speak for "We don't know what they do, but we bet the do it all." I've been where I am for over a year now, and I've done the following:
  • Programmed
  • Designed the UI for a site
  • Created graphics
  • Written copy
  • Translated a UI from an image into functional CSS
  • Written manuals
  • Been a sys admin
  • Held the occasional hand when a customer was at the end of their rope
I get the push now and then to hop a fence, and go fully to bed with a certain group. I'm happy balancing on fence posts, though. I may teeter more, but it's more fun being uncertain.

No comments: